Monday, June 29, 2009

Why Password field in Oracle Applications Users Screen is disabled?

Our Oracle Apps development instance was refreshed from UAT a week ago. After the refresh we were given a common login with System Administrator responsibility. Each one of us was supposed to reset their password using the common login. As usual I navigated to the Users screen to reset my password and encountered the below screen.



Anything unusual?

Any way I find something in the very field I was trying to edit. The password field was disabled. I can’t reset my password. Frustrated !!!!!!!

Now I can ask my DBA and he will do some magic to enable this field in seconds? But being a curious technical consultant with a bit of spare time in hand, I decided to find it myself. After opening the fmb and subsequently going through two to three stored programs, I got it. The culprit is a profile option named Applications SSO Login Types.

I navigated to Systems Profile Values screen (Profile --> Systems) and found the value for this for the user I wanted to change the password.



The possible values for this profile option are

i) SSO
ii) Local and
iii) Both

Now I got it. Single Sign On was implemented in the system where in password is maintained in a central database and shared by different applications.

As you can see the value is SSO which means the password field will be disabled for that user for whatever login you use because the password is not stored in the local Oracle Apps database. I changed the profile value to Local and my password field got enabled.

Back to work!!!!

Oracle Apps Diary: Find the SQL behind List of Values(LOV) of an Ebusiness Suite screen

No comments: